Thursday 4 December 2008

Day 10

Wednesday 3rd December, Day 10:-

It's a beautiful morning as I set off from the Loaded Dog pub in Tarago:-



This morning I am heading to Goulburn and after an hour or so I pass the 1,000km milestone (or kilometrestone):-



Now, almost all Australian cities/towns/villages have some sort of claim to fame, whether it be the 1st this, or possessing the longest that, or the biggest the other, etc. (I remember visiting a village in Tasmania once that lay claim to having the most 'south-easterly' post office in the whole of Australia - wow!?!). Anyway, Goulburn's claim to fame is that it was Australia's first INLAND city?? Developed nearly 200 yrs, a railway was built here because of these things:-



We are now deep into sheep-shearing country! and more specifically the Merino sheep - famous for its wool, sent from here back in the 19th century, via the railway, to Sydney and on to be exported all over the world.

However, whilst there are plenty of sheep around, there are a few cattle 'lying' around as well (yes, it is real):-



I think this one must have been cycling a long distance! - it reminds me of what I musy have looked like lying next to the Merino highway yesterday - motionless with legs as stiff as a board. There is a funny smell around here? Not sure why...

Anyway, I cycle the 35kms into Goulburn and head for the tourist information centre. Whilst walking around in there, my eye catches a postcard and I'm forced to do a double-take... I examine the postcard, and gasp as I recognise the picture - I must have been here before on my travels here back in 1997?! I take the postcard over to the desk and make an enquiry to the lady there. She gives me the information I need and I head the 4 kms out of town to reacquaint myself with....



...the big Merino! - the biggest sheep in the world!! (Goulburn's 2nd claim to fame)

But that's not all, Goulburn also has something else - Australia's oldest surviving industrial complex - wahoooo!! The fact that it is a working brewery makes me decide that this place warrants further investigation, so I take a trip to Goulburn Brewery. I am in luck, the man who owns it is in the reception - Reverend Father Michael O'Halloran! I chuckle to myself and proceed to take the tour. Part of the entrance fee is a complimentary tasting... which I duly take part in. The stout is lovely and I order a pot to have with a spot of lunch before heading off:-



I am trying to make it to Bundanoon this afternoon, another 80kms away. It is very hot and very sunny - not the sort of day condusive to lunch-time drinking followed by a dehydrating cycling exercise. Never mind - I pedal on... and on... and on... My waterbottle level goes down... and down... and down... until suddenly I am in the middle of nowhere and I am clean out of fluids. I had been banking on Bungonia having a shop, but it doesn't and I realise that I have another 18kms to go until the next village - that'll mean I will have cycled nearly 90kms in searing heat with only 2 water bottles, 3 swigs of a variety of Goulburn Brewery's finest and a pot of stout, hmm...

...fortunately I still have the other half a pack of sour snakes from the other day, and I ration myself to 1 every km. As each sour snake hits the back of the mouth, I manage to generate just enough saliva to keep me from collapsing into a dehydrated coma! Eventually, arriving at Marulan I spend $15 on drinks...

30kms to go. The legs are obviusly tired, but it is the right achilles that is giving me a real problem and I find I can't stand up to pedal due to the pain. That makes hills even more difficult and I find that I walk up the majority of steep inclines:-



With 8 kms to go to Bundanoon, just as I am losing the will to live, a car overtakes me, screeches to a halt and 4 people jump out. The guy driving comes running over to me waving his arms and shouting at me - 'oh great, that's all I need - abduction!', I think to myself, although the idea of sitting in the back of a car and being driven off somewhere does have SOME appeal.

As it happens, he's saying "we're cyclist, we're cyclists!", and we proceed to have a great chat about both my own trip and their trip they have just completed in Europe along the River Danube. Having not spoken to many people to today and feeling a little dispondant, I really valued their passion and enthusiam and it spurred me on for the final 8 kms, before finally arriving into Bundanoon!

START:- Tarago, 7.30am
FINISH:- Bundanoon, 7.40pm
DISTANCE:- 132.15km
AVERAGE SPEED:- 16.9 km/h
MAXIMUM SPEED:- 55.2 km/h
CYCLING TIME:- 7hrs 48mins 00s

TOTAL DISTANCE:- 1,107.1 km
TOTAL TIME:- 67hrs 24mins 03s

13 comments:

sally said...

great to speak this mornin and congrats in arriving in Wollongong (the very final place before Sydney...for those of you without any form of map)- hasn't he done well?
Don't let that achilles stop you!!!
Loads of love

Matt said...

Mate, sorry for the lack of posts in last couple of days, off work with that thing women call "man-flu"! Must be bad I'm not even playing football tonight! Enjoyed reading your last few days adventures, good effort on climbing the tallest mountain! Not long to go, in fact you may be finished by the time you read this so WELL DONE if you have!And if not keep cycling! Matt

Anonymous said...

Free booze for virtually 10 days running you lucky git and all you've done is pedal around sunny(!?) Oz. Keep going mate - nearly there, want to see a sprint to the finish and those speedometer stats off the scale!

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Nick
Monica from the CTC at Robertson told me of your visit there today - a long-range cyclist, fundraiser, and a blogger! A rare creature indeed.
Sorry I missed your visit.
I shall follow the rest of your trip (tomorrow?).
Cheers
Denis
"The Nature of Robertson" (blog)

Jo Johnston said...

I knew those sour snakes would come in handy! Much better than anything Ray Mears would have come up with ....

sally said...

Aore you nily allmost home ?
love from tom b

Cookie said...

Mate. Is that really you at the bottom of that massive sheep? When you expand the picture you look like a Lego Man!

Loving the idea of the Irish Bishop running the brewery.

Fingers crossed for the achilles. Did I ever tell you about the time that I did mine in? I'm sure I've never gone on about it!!

Anonymous said...

heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy
loving the dead cow picky-hate that you cant speak to anyone for hours at a time-that would kill me! but how cool is that-couple o randoms appearing from nowhere to cheer you up- i like that!
ooooooooooh-tangy snakes-life savers eh-last stretch now-keep at it-Abby just left for silver Duke of Ed- all my family doin mad silly stuff!
Bring us back a little cheeky aussie momento-sheep-dead cow-stout-anything!
lots a love to my slightly insane but all the same fab bro xx

Anonymous said...

m8!
hows it goin cobber?
Was that you posing beneath jabba the hut?
Last time I lay beside a road half dead was with you - oh the memories!
You defo deserve a purple moose when you get home - lets do it at y Llong! Pack of cards ... crib board ...10p a point ...
Nice text by the way - hope the experience was a good one - Houston Houston ..... we have a problem .... now where is Sally with a kebab stick when you need her!!!!
Now we have all come to love the birty blog I dont think our days will be the same without it - a ray of sunshine in all our days ... only 1 thing for it ... you will just have to turn round and do it all over again ... backwards.
Bring it on ...

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday for Tuesday mate. Nobody is milling tonight. The lack of persuasive phone calls at 8.30pm has resulted in a poor effort! Heard you are in Wollongong, the home of Anne and Scott Simpson? Shame they are home on the Wirral at the moment though (the lengths some people will go to avoid providing B&B!) Well nearly there now, so look after that achilles and good luck for the final push... Bryan.

Jo Johnston said...

Ditto what Mark said - we will miss this when it's all over! Good luck on your last leg (not literally of course) and bring on the next adventure. Your turn Sally?
Tom b - cool message!

sally said...

please get the bike back together ,the opera house is in sight!!

sally said...

aor you up the erport yet ?
love from tom b xxx