Wednesday 26 November 2008

Melbourne to Sydney! - day 1 & 2



Monday 24th November 2008, DAY 1:-

G'day everybody,

Well, after a long-time waiting, the big day has arrived and at 7.24am I finally set off from Ad's house, just south of Melbourne city, to begin my 1200km 'adventure'!

(The bike I am using is not the one pictured the other day! I have hired a proper one for the trip... and yes, if you click on the photo to expand it, I know, I know - there is a bike stand and a ding-a-ling bell! - Cookie, you'd be proud...)

So, cycled the 5kms into Melbourne City Centre and hopped onto the 7.56am train for the 1hr trip to take me to Lilydale, in the outer suburbs, which is the official start for the Melbourne to Sydney 1200km bike ride...

However, I couldn't relax on the train - Whilst I am riding Melbourne to Sydney, this route is from the NE suburbs of Melbourne to the S suberbs of Sydney... and I have told people I am riding from Ad's in southern Melbourne to Tim's in northern Sydney. After 40mins on the train, I can't take the potential failure anymore - I hop off, cross the track and grab the next train back to Melbourne. Great start!

At 9.20am I set off properly from Flinder's St station in the centre of town. If I'm going to this, it's got to be done properly! (Pic opposite Flinder's St station with MCG in the background):-



The 1st 30kms is a pleasant trip next to the Yarra river and is on great cyclepaths. I then get lost for about 10kms before ending up on the Maroondah highway and 20kms on a 3-lane highway, passing 20kms of fast food joints - McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Hungry Jacks, Fasta Pasta... (repeat x10)... before arriving at Lilydale train station. 60kms of suburbia and I'm not in great spirits. Its grey, not warm, and drizzling - I feel like I'm in Britain!

I switch the radio on for the 1st time, to help focus the mind on something else. The 1st song is Cat Stevens, and the 1st lyrics I hear are "Find a girl, settle down, if you want - take it easy..." Hmm? 2 songs later and it's Neil Diamond with "Solitary Man". The rain increases and I wonder what the hell I am doing here??

But, 10kms further on, things take a turn for the better. I am well out of the city now and into the lush Yarra Valley countryside and I stumble upon "Domain Chandon":-



A vineyard, with FREE wine tasting - yeeha!

Apparently the cooler climate here is perfect for the Chardonnay grapes. It would be rude not to at least sample what the area has to offer - all in the name of research of course:-



... and apparently the Pinot Noir is also very good:-



I leave with spirits lifted and continue on through beautiful Healesville, up the Black Spur (steep ascent for 15kms - took over 2hrs), passing through lush rainforest (not what I imagined when arranging trip, was thinking more dry, arid, emptiness...), eventually clocking up 100kms:-



I leave the rain-forest as the sun emerges at 5.15pm - I feel warm for the 1st time today. This is the highest point (literally and metaphorically) of the day and I continue for another 50kms through beatiful countryside in the fading sun:-



...before arriving in sleepy Alexandra at 7.40pm. Life is good again and I know I have made the right choice in coming.

At the campsite, the guy in charge is asleep. I wake him up and he seems p**sed off. I ask for a camping pitch and he sneers at me with disdain. He could charge me what he likes, I'm in the middle of nowhere, need a hot shower, and there are no other options... he snorts out "Five bucks"... and I can't believe my luck (2 quid).

A guy wanders over as I pitch my tent in the dark and he hands me a beer. He then proceeds to tell me his life story and how he's lived here for 6 months since his marriage break-up... time to head up to the pub!

...where a motley crew of semi-toothless misfits are all bevvied. Every other word is the 'f' word and I feel my IQ draining away by the second. Alexandra is a beautiful spot, but I'm looking forward to heading off at sunrise in the morning!

START: Ad's House, Middle Park, Melbourne, 7.24am
END: Alexandra, 7.40pm
TOTAL DISTANCE: 153.65 kms
AVERAGE SPEED: 17.8 km/h
MAXIMUM SPEED: 66.2 km/h
CYCLING TIME: 8hrs 37mins 19s


Tuesday 25th November 2008, Day 2:-

Up at 5.40am and away at 7am. Gorgeous day, sun, no clouds but a slight headwind. The road is winding and undulating and the scenery interesting. I like the fact that Australian names are straight to the point. I climb up "Big Hill". It is an accurate description!

I pass the 200km point (total distance):-



After 60kms of lovely cycling, I hit the Hume Highway - Australia's equivalent of the M6 (there are no other cyclists but I am certain bikes are allowed). I am due to to meet up with Chris Rogers, a man I met on the internet! (oo-er) in Benalla, 50kms up the Hume Highway. I am late and pedal as hard as I can, into a 10-20km headwind all the way. The road is straight and visible to the horizon. The scenery is unchanging and I have to keep checking the road markings in the middle of the road to confirm I am moving!

I meet Chris at 3.30pm. I have cycled 110kms already today and my legs are wrecked. Chris is in charge of many Audax bike rides in Victoria (long distance rides). He is a nice bloke and I instantly warm to him and his passion for cycling!

We leave Benalla to head to his house in Wangaratta, 40kms away. Despite Chris telling me that he is Victoria's slowest rider, he takes off at a steady pace, ouch and I struggle to keep up. Fortunately Chris gets a puncture, so I carry on without him at a much more sedate pace but within 30 minutes he has caught me up again!

We pass through Glenrowan, scene of Ned Kelly's last stand and if the rest of this trip fails, no problem, as I have got one of the things I set out to achieve - a picture with big Ned!:-



We arrive in Wangaratta - I am knackered... Chris then breaks the news that his house is 10kms to the North (tears form in corner of eyes). We eventually arrive at his place, a lovely pad out in the sticks. I spend the evening with Chris and his wife, Judith, eating a fantastic meal and engaging in good conversation with a few beers and a glass of wine before retiring to a wonderfully comfy double bed.

My 1st intenet relationship is a success!

START:- Alexandra, 7.01am
END:- Chris and Judith's house, 10kms north of Wangaratta
DISTANCE:- 161.44 kms
AVERAGE SPEED:- 17.9 km/h
MAXIMUM SPEED:- 77.7 km/h
CYCLING TIME:- 9hrs 0mins 17s

TOTAL DISTANCE:- 310.10kms
TOTAL TIME:- 17hrs 37mins 36s

14 comments:

Tiger said...

mate absolutely super stuff that, good you kept the cycling gloves on at Domaine Chandon, those wineglasses can really cause some damage after a while

Jo Johnston said...

Well done Nick - you're a quarter of the way there already!!
Keep it up and keep the Blog going, we love it!

sally said...

It is so funny well done i know its tricky to keepup communication but it great for us to read back home,you are doing fab and the weather looks better, miss you lotsand love you lots, keep those little legs going!

Anonymous said...

Good work pal. Quiz night tonight... we'll eb thinking of you whilst we're in the nice warm Greave supping a Black Sheep!

Anonymous said...

Genius mate. Enjoying reading your blog. That Ned looks like a nice bloke.
Keep on keepin on !

Anonymous said...

Oops - I am anonymous !

Cookie said...

Great effort Nick. At this rate you'll be able to make that detour to Brisbane after all.

Expect a phone call from The Mill tomorrow night.

Anonymous said...

hey how well are you doing and how lovely does the nice bikey guy sound!!
Laughed out loud lots of times at your very witty blog!!Were trying to work out how on earth you managed to find the bikey guy on the internet and end up randomly sleeping at his house!!
Anyway youre doing amazing-youll be coming back with pipe cleaners for legs!!
Lots of love from the brownies xxx

Matt said...

Lovin the train story, reminds me of the journey back from Moel fammau, woldn't have been the same if you hadn't returned! Wine tasring en-route- class!

Tiger said...

Nick, hope today went well, hot day on the road, looking forward to the next installment. I thought you said Cookie was barred from posting comments?

Anonymous said...

mate, as far as anagrams go your name sucks but after an hours hard work I thought this was appropriate given your wine tasting exploits......"i c nsw biker tilt". Ok so maybe you are still in Victoria but give me some credit....Keep going mate, don't bother trying to keep up with the English cricket team...very depressing!

sally said...

is the next stop Jindabyne!!!!!???

Anonymous said...

how was today? its actually abbys birthday where you are now but its tomorrow here!how weird is that! Happy thanksgiving-have been watching lots of american football today!hope youre still ok-dont forget were all right with you and miss you-xxxxx

Anonymous said...

This is great Nick! I'm planning to do what you've done! Hopefully in a couple of months time when summers in full swing. Looking forward to reading the rest of your blog.