Sunday 2 November 2008

Snow... in October?




Thurs 30th October

Set off from home with intention of making it to Porthmadog, some 85-90 miles away... hadn't budgetted for unseasonably early snowfall though!

Made it 59 miles to Bala, but with numb fingers, numb toes and pretty much numb everything else, took the executive decision to get the bus the last 30 miles. Asked someone in Bala what time the buses went to Porthmadog, to be told there is only 1...

...1 per week! and that goes on a Monday. Great, stuck in Bala - freezing cold, tired and it's snowing... plus it will be pitch black in 1 hour. Decide to hitch. 1st van passing stops and a chap called Terry (my new best friend) gives me a lift the full 30 miles to Porthmadog. His temperature gauge reads 0 degrees as we drive along...

I decide, here and now, that God definitely does exist as Terry drops me off outside 'Y Llong' (The Ship pub) in Porthmadog. A celebratory pint of 'Brains SA' is tempting but core temperature is low and I decide to cycle the remaining 3 miles to my final destination (the caravan) and then spend the next 3 hrs sat in front of fire recovering.

I return to 'Y Llong' the following evening for that pint of Brains - it tastes AMAZING!

3 comments:

Jo Johnston said...

Oh my God Nick, I thought the adventure started in Australia! You are turning the training into an epic journey in itself! That picture of your bike in the snow is amazing, and we laughed out loud reading your story. We can't wait for the trip - just hope the technology allows you to post regular updates ....

sally said...

Thanks Jo for your comments is he mad or what...went through a puddle in Willaston and had a wet foot from then!he has no suitable equipment what does he need ? I am panicking apart from a death by aussie climate,reptiles,kangaroos,koalas?,mad bushmen, what if he doesnt make it in time for the flight back!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So far the training consists of English breakfast, open fir public houses and Brains beer. Excellent fun. Keep at it.

Ps. Where do I sign up. Although I don't fancy that chafing much. So after 1200KM you will diserve a large medal and a huge tub of cream. Arse cream that is.