Friday 28 November 2008

Day 3 & 4

Wednesday November 26th, Day

The alarm wakes me at 5.50am - uhh...

I reluctantly get out of bed and my body feels like it is riddled with rheumatoid arthritis. Everything hurts as I wander through for breakfast with Chris, who is all ready and raring to go!! We leave at 7.15am and head the 45kms to Beechworth - "There's a bit of a hill, but it's nothing!", Chris tells me as we cycle back into Wangaratta and up to Beechworth. It is another beautiful morning, and the countryside is once again fantastic! The 'hill' upto Beechworth is an absolute b*gger. My bike+pannier bags weigh so much that any sort of resistance and I struggle. So hills, headwinds, road surfaces made up of knobbly tarmac and its a battle. All 3 are present this morning, coupled with stifling heat.

Eventually we arrive into Beechworth, a lovely little town perched up in the hills. Famous for its gold in the 19th century and its Chinese community of gold miners, it is also house the local courtrooms, where none other than old Ned Kelly himself appeared several times. More importantly though, it has possibly the best bakery I have EVER been to! Chris and I have a veg pasty and a coffee, before Chris says his goodbyes and cycles back to Wangaratta.



I am extremely grateful for his time and energy both on email in the past month and his hospitality these last couple of days.

I now have 2 options, head onto Hume Weir (65kms) - my destination for tonight's camp, or chill out here for a little while. I decide upon the latter and end up spending a whole 6 hours finally relaxing!! I get a chance to read the papers for the 1st time, but a little disappointed in the weather section:-



Wandering around town, I visit the Burke museum and the old courtrooms, both very interesting, before stumbling upon the bicycle shop, which also doubles up as the "Saw shop". I imagine the saws are for all those people who decide to hire a bike, ride 10 kms out of town (downhill in every direction) and then struggle to cycle back uphill, in the 30 degrees heat, on the knobbly roads... hence upon their eventual return they then need a saw to hack through the wrists to finish themselves off! I may be wrong?... I pop in and purchase a cycle top as I have worn the same base-layer top for 3 days... niiiiice! Wayne, the owner, is a nice guy, likes what I'm doing and gives me $10 to the Claire House fund - good on yer! (as everyone says here).

A quick 'Ned Kelly' pie at 4.30pm and I'm on the road again for the remaining 65kms, all into the breeze, passing through 400kms en route:-



and through dusk:-



...before eventually arriving at Hume Weir at 10pm. The last 90mins are in the pitch black and seem to be in the middle of nowhere. Lighting thunderstorms are visible to the east and the south but I escape. I cook noodles at 11pm, leave them for 2 minutes to finish putting up the tent, only to find 2 possums exploring the contents of the pan. I have no other food, so eat them anyway. Hope they weren't rabid possums?

START: Chris's house, Wangaratta, 7.16am
FINISH: Hume Weir, 10.00pm
DISTANCE:- 111.86 kms
AVERAGE SPEED:- 16.3 km/h
MAXIMUM SPEED:- 61.9 km/h
CYCLING TIME:- 6hrs 49mins 44s

OVERALL DISTANCE:- 426.97 km
OVERALL TIME:- 24hrs 27mins 20s


DAY 4

Another long slog today, kicking off with 98 kms from Hume Weir to Walwa. There are no towns between these 2 places, so I carry lots of water and ration myself to 1 gulp every 2kms. It is another hot, sunny day and the breeze is straight into again! I ride along the undulating road alongside the Murray river, which marks the boundary between Victoria to the south (where I am riding) and New South Wales to the north:-



I stop at 55kms for lunch and collapse into the grass at the side of the road. I feel a short sharp pain in my R calf and realise I have been bitten by something. Agghhh, snakebike??? hmm, no tell tale "double puncture marks", and I'm in the middle of nowhere so there is not much I can do about it anyway. As it happens I am still here now, so I assume it must have been an ant or something!

After 75kms, the sky is changing quicklie from sunny to very dark:-



...and I get caught in an electric thunderstorm for the next 90 minutes. I fear for my life and daren't stop pedalling in case I get hit. I think I read somewhere that the rubber tyres protect you as long as you don't touch the floor??? Anyway, I get soaked, but it is quite refreshing, and for the 2nd time today I 'escape' death!!

I arrive at Walwa, refuel for an hour, and get lots of advice from a couple of guys there on how to deal with the Australian wildlife. "Don't go upsetting a kangaroo, otherwise it'll beat the s*** out of ya"... "if you get bitten by a black, you'll be right, but if it's a brown, then you need to get to the hospital otherwise you'll be dead in 2hrs".... "you're heading upto Thredbo?? on a bike?? that's 70kms of 2nd gear... and that's in the bloody car!". Despite this, I am glad of the conversation, it's the 1st I've had all day:-



I then head another 25kms south to Tintaldra, a small town with a population of 25 and 1 pub! I decide to stop here for the night. Alf, the owner (an ex-Yorkshire man who is delighted to hear my surname!) tells me it's $40 for the night or $10 if I take a caravan. I opt for the the latter (4 quid!) and end up having several 'pots' of Carlton beer and a fanastic steak with the locals (Alf, Al, Greg and Steve). Their business is growing grains/grasses and servicing the machines that they use. I struggle to for the 1st 30 mins with accents and Combine Harvester terminology - but end up having a great night. This is one of the proper Australian experiences that I had hoped for, and despite copping a load of flack for being a Pommie, we have a good laugh, (albeit mainly at my expense!), cheers fellas:-



Another good day!

START:- Hume Weir, 9.30am
FINISH:- Tintaldra, 7.20pm
DISTANCE:- 122.91 kms
AVERAGE SPEED:- 16.6 km/h
MAXIMUM SPEED:- 56.8 km/h
CYCLING TIME:- 7hrs 23mins 52s

TOTAL DISTANCE:- 549.88kms
TOTAL TIME:- 31hrs 51mins 12s

11 comments:

sally said...

Absolutely brilliant can't wait to get to school to tell everyone to look at your blog Jo and Neil will love it!!!
Kids all fine, Xmas shopping nearly done, weather normal boring boring boring.... never mind there is always footie tomorrow!
Staying at Frankies tonight lots of love, the wife!

Anonymous said...

Genius mate. Can you try and encounter a kangaroo for a laugh ? If Yvonne ever needed a reason not to travel to Oz, your unknown bite story confirmed her fears !
Sounds like you are having great time.
Keep on pedalling !

Tiger said...

More absolute gold, you've finally found your calling as a travel writer. Just to think a week ago you were poncing around a church in a white tie, now you're England's answer to Crocodile Dundee.

Jo Johnston said...

My thought's exactly Tiger ... travel writing is the way to go! I was thinking more Crocodile Dundee meets Charlie Boorman ??
Well done again Nick, you are doing fantastic and Neil gets more envious by the day.
Who took the picture of you up the dead tree though ... a friendly Koala?
Lovin the new cycle top too - you almost look like you know what you're doing now!

Cookie said...

The stories just get better.

Enjoyed the phone call last night. Bry and I found it particularly amusing that we were speaking to you for at least a minute when you suddenly came out with "Who is this?". Guess that's what 500K on a bike in 4 days does to you!

Tiger / Maliakus - when are you joining Nick? I am lookng forward to a laugh.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick,
I must admit even to me it all sounds fantastic. If you ever go to Tintaldra again count me in !
No problem getting served at the bar with a population of 25 !
Take care,
x

Matt said...

Mate, sound like you're having a great time,(except for the near death experiences!)Reading your blog at midnight is keeping me going through hours of tedious exam marking, I must say I am very envious! They don't waste any words with those weather reports do they! Watch out for the brownies!!(And that not your in-laws!)Matt

Anita said...

Good on you Nick! I love the blog. Come to Tassie next time and bring Sally and the children!

Anonymous said...

An ant?
Jeez...good job you went all prepared for the snakes and spiders eh?! Hahaha. I know how you got that photo up the tree - camera timer on 30 seconds, a sprint to the tree, scramble up and smile. Repeated x5 as you keep "just missing the click"! Sounds like great fun mate, wish I was there with you. Nearly half way through! Keep cycling buddy.

Nick Birtwistle said...

Folks, thanks for all the messages!

For the record:-

Yes that was Ad's Porsche under the covers. We had to move it from his back yard and it took him at least 50 turns of the key before it finally spluttered into action. PS The side door is held on with gaffer tape - Classic!

Bang on with the 30s timer facility. Thought I could only do max 10s but strange what you learn about your camera when you are on your own for a week! And if you need someone to help you out with Qantas flight's terms and conditions - I'm your man!

As for the cycle top, don't be fooled... I still don't know what I am doing - the brakes are currently catching on the wheel rim but I daren't touch them, tried it once a few years ago - had to buy a new bike in the end!

Anonymous said...

Nick
Fantastic. Well done. Great Blog. Did try to leave comment from NZ but it doesn't seem to have been logged?
You will have finished by the time this message is posted (your blog is up to day 10).
You will be glad you started from Ad & Jen's house (maybe in a week/month/year?).
Look forward to a pint with you when you return and finding what your next adventure will be?
Geoff D